Learn more about Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
The COVID-19 crisis is overwhelming healthcare facilities, taxing resources, depleting supply chains and straining clinicians as they care for patients affected by the virus. Of course, the focus has been on caring for patients, protecting clinicians and acquiring needed medical supplies.
Unfortunately, a financial and administrative challenge is emerging. Hospitals and non-acute facilities are pressed with cash flow challenges, new billing and coding rules, mountains of denied claims, and furloughed and reduced staff.
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) can help alleviate many of these challenges in claims processing, administrative and clinical areas. What is RPA?
- RPA is a software “robot” that performs routine business processes and makes simple decisions by mimicking the way humans interact with applications.
- These software robots are virtual workers that can partner with and be an extension of your staff.
- RPA eliminates errors, speeds processing times and captures revenue faster.
COVID-19 Use Cases
- Denials Management – COVID-19 claim codes and claim submission rules are shifting as CMS and payers issue new guidance. This coupled with the high volume of claims will generate significant increase in denials. RPA can manage high volumes of denied claims and resubmit in some cases. Software robots can flag denied claims in the EMR, log in to payer websites to view the status of claims, pull needed information from the payer site or EMR, and in some cases resubmit the claim without any human interaction. Read our denials management success story.
- Billing and Medical Coding – New ICD-10 HCPCS and CPT codes for COVID-19, telemedicine billing changes combined with volume of claims will challenge billing teams. RPA can automate coding extraction, reduce confusion, eliminate data errors and scale to handle high volumes. Software robots can extract the right information from multiple sources including the patient record and submit the correct claim with the right codes
- New Vendor Setup – Providers will continue to onboard new vendors, and in some cases, may have to onboard vendors quickly to purchase needed supplies. RPA can automate new vendor setup, speeding up and eliminating multiple manual steps. A software robot can intake a new vendor request, pull required information from request, validate data with third parties like Dunn and Bradstreet and submit for approval.
- Backorder Notification – Getting needed supplies will be an ongoing challenge for providers even as the initial wave of cases flattens. Timely updates and information about backorder status from suppliers are essential now more than ever. RPA can maintain backorder status, pulling information from multiple systems and disseminating it quickly to buyers. A software robot can download a backorder file from your procurement system, cross reference against a buyer file, complete data formatting and analysis and send a unique file to each buyer with their specific information and status.
- Employee Onboarding – Providers have a deep need for clinical staff and volunteers to help with COVID-19 cases. Rapid onboarding is essential. RPA fast-tracks employee onboarding processes, eliminating the need to input similar information in multiple systems. A software robot can run screening and background check processes, upload application data and notify staff that the employee is ready to be onboarded. A software robot can also input employee information in multiple systems to complete tasks including generating badges, granting system access and ordering uniforms.
Intalere Can Help
RPA can ease the burden on clinical and administrative staff generated by COVID-19, shortening revenue cycle times and other processes, and delivering direct profitability to healthcare organizations like yours.
- Intalere can deploy RPA for all types and sizes of healthcare organizations.
- RPA bots can be created in 4-6 weeks and deliver immediate efficiencies and ROI in under 6 months.
- RPA is affordable and non-invasive—easily overlaying with existing systems like EMRs, procurement, HR, Finance and more.
Impactful solutions like RPA can help mitigate the financial uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 crisis.
Contact us today to learn more about how automation can help your healthcare organization.